Debbie Lamb practices primarily in the field of commercial litigation, although her practice varies. Representative engagements include the following:
- Successfully defended investor-owned utility against, and ultimately settled, claims brought by minority owner of nuclear power plant seeking rescission and repayment of $1.6 billion. USDC, Middle District of Louisiana.
- Brought suit on behalf of investor-owned utility against railroad to dissolve long-term, all-requirements coal transportation contract. Case settled resulting in new contract saving the client hundreds of millions of dollars in future transportation costs. USDC, District of Nebraska.
- Successfully defended natural gas storage company against claims of landowners seeking damages for groundwater and aquifer contamination, underground trespass, unjust enrichment, etc. USDC, Western District of Louisiana.
- Successfully defended investor-owned utility against breach of contract, antitrust, and unfair trade practices claims brought by power marketing company. 19th JDC, East Baton Rouge Parish, La.; Louisiana Court of Appeal, First Circuit.
- Successfully appealed adverse judgment of Office of Workers’ Compensation awarding damages to injured employee. Appellate court agreed with employer that worker did not sustain an on-the-job injury in an accident as required by La. law. Louisiana Court of Appeal, First Circuit.
- Successfully defended communications group and broadcaster against defamation claims brought by radio-show guest. Louisiana Court of Appeal, Fourth Circuit; Louisiana Supreme Court; United States Supreme Court.• Successfully defended, and ultimately settled, Clean Water Act claims brought against manufacturer by environmental watchdog group. USDC, Eastern District of Louisiana.
- Successfully defended major university against employment discrimination and retaliation claims brought by athletic coach. USDC, Middle District of Louisiana.
- Currently defends companies against numerous suits alleging contamination of legacy oilfield sites filed by landowners in Louisiana state courts
- Currently acts as coverage counsel to various insurers in cases filed in Louisiana state courts.
Ms. Lamb is a member of the American, Fifth Circuit, Louisiana State, and Baton Rouge Bar Associations. She is admitted to practice before all federal and state courts in Louisiana and the United States Supreme Court.
Ms. Lamb is actively involved in the Baton Rouge community. She currently is a member of Sunrise Rotary Club of Baton Rouge. She serves on the board of the Baton Rouge Symphony Orchestra as marketing committee chair, and serves on the advisory panel to Volunteers in Public Schools. She has served on the board of Capital Area CASA Association, and Habitat for Humanity of Greater Baton Rouge, Inc., and currently volunteers for those agencies.
In 2006, Ms. Lamb received Volunteer Baton Rouge’s Volunteer Employee Spirit Award for her work with VIPS. In 2005, Ms. Lamb received the “Portrait of Caring” award from Cox Communications and 100 Black Men of Metro Baton Rouge for her efforts to promote diversity and unity in the Baton Rouge community.