Practicing law since 1994, Taylor Porter Partner Mike Crawford practices in bankruptcy-related litigation, representation of corporate debtors, creditors’ committees, bankruptcy trustees and corporate creditors and banks, for clients across a wide scope of industries, including oil and gas, environmental/energy, health care, gaming, and media and entertainment companies. Mike serves as the Chair of the Taylor Porter Business Transactions, Bankruptcy and Real Estate practice. He is ranked by clients and peer attorneys in Chambers USA - Bankruptcy/Restructuring.
In addition to representing clients in Louisiana, Mike has appeared in bankruptcy courts in New York, Texas and Mississippi, and he is admitted to practice in all federal courts, including bankruptcy courts, in Louisiana, U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and United States Supreme Court. He is a frequent lecturer on bankruptcy-related topics.
Notable bankruptcy cases:
- Lead counsel for the chapter 11 trustee Dwayne M. Murray in HydroFlame Technologies, LLC (12-11250), United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Louisiana. Confirmed plan established liquidating trust and proposed to pay creditors in full from a sale of the debtor’s assets, including certain patented technology with application in the oil and gas industry
- Lead debtor-in-possession counsel for PBS Lumber Manufacturing, LLC, in its chapter 11 reorganization now concluded in the Western District of Louisiana, Alexandria Division (12-80143); successfully guided the lumber company through a competitive sales process and the Debtor’s Chapter 11 Plan was confirmed in January of 2013;
- Lead bankruptcy counsel for creditor NPC Services, Inc., in the chapter 11 bankruptcy of Chemtura Corp., Southern District of New York. Successfully defeated debtor’s motion for summary judgment and brokered a multi-million dollar settlement of an environmental damage claim associated with a rejected executory contract;
- Lead counsel for the Unsecured Creditors' Committee in the Harvest Oil/Saratoga Resources chapter 11 proceeding in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Louisiana. Confirmed chapter 11 plan paid unsecured trade creditors in full with interest;
- Lead Creditors' Committee Counsel for Communication Corp. of America and White Knight Holdings, chapter 11 consolidated proceedings in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Louisiana, Shreveport Division Lead Case No.06-50410; debtors owned and operated several television stations in Louisiana, Texas and Indiana; Confirmed chapter 11 plan paid unsecured trade creditors in full;
- Represented trustee Dwayne Murray in the involuntary bankruptcy of John E. Shavers in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Mississippi, Gulfport Division, Case No. 03-55729; denied debtor's discharge impacting over $10 million in secured and unsecured claims and successful prosecution of multiple fraud claims/ liquidation of real properties arising out of the debtor's ownership of a construction/dredging business in Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi;
- Lead counsel for the debtor in possession in the chapter 11 bankruptcy of Peter Raymond LaFuria, M.D., United States Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Louisiana, Lake Charles Division, Case No. 07-20346; successfully negotiated a complex, multi-million dollar settlement of class action personal injury litigation through a confirmed chapter 11 plan;
- Co-counsel, Creditors’ Committee, Harrah’s land-based casino chapter 11 in New Orleans filed in 1995; (unsecured claims approximating $65 million paid in full);
- Co-counsel, Creditors’ Committee, Cajun Electric Cooperative chapter 11 in Baton Rouge filed in 1994 (unsecured trade claims paid in full with interest);
- Lead counsel for Creditors’ Committee, Sevarg Company, Inc., an oil and gas company, chapter 11 filed in Western District of Louisiana in 2002; confirmed plan proposed by the chapter 11 trustee and supported by the Committee resulted in the payment in full of unsecured trade claims with interest and the successful reorganization of the company as an entity owned and controlled by the creditors;
- Multiple representations of Dwayne Murray, a panel chapter 7 trustee in the Middle District of Louisiana, in fraudulent transfer and preference avoidance actions, as well as representation of Mr. Murray in his capacity as Chapter 11 Trustee in the Leeward Operators, LLC, oil and gas bankruptcy in the Western District of Louisiana;
- Watson Energy, LLC, an oil and gas chapter 11 in New Orleans - counsel for Breton Sound Resources, LLC, in litigation with the debtor and various lien claimants and in the Watson bankruptcy reorganization. Mr. Crawford’s efforts contributed to a consensual resolution for the development of a multi-stage, $48 million natural gas field in St. Mary Parish as part of a confirmed chapter 11 plan.
In 2014, Mike successfully completed the St. John’s University (with the American Bankruptcy Institute), 40-Hour Bankruptcy Mediation Course. Following graduation from law school in 1993, Mike served a one-year judicial clerkship with the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Louisiana, the Honorable Gerald H. Schiff.
In the community, Mike was inducted into the Special Olympics Louisiana Hall of Fame in 2009, following his 15 years of service, first as a volunteer and then nine years as a board member and former board chair.