Shannon's primary practice focus is complex litigation involving compliance with the Medicare Secondary Payer Act and Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP (State Children's Health Insurance Program) Extension Act of 2007. Shannon also practices in the areas of toxic tort defense, premises liability, and general litigation.
Shannon has extensive experience advising global, national, and local energy and chemical companies with settlement and litigation issues related to Medicare Secondary Payer Act obligations and compliance, including: identification and resolution of Medicare and Medicare Advantage Plan (including first-tier and downstream entitites) conditional payment and reimbursement obligations; evaluation of potential interests of Medicare and Medicare Advantage Plans in settlement funds or personal injury awards paid to plaintiffs; identification and minimization of risks of potential future Medicare-related litigation and penalties and fines stemming from payments to Medicare beneficiaries; and evaluation of Section 111 registration and reporting obligations.
Shannon has also represented and defended Fortune 10 global energy companies in disputes involving toxic tort exposure, personal injury from Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM), oil field legacy sites, wetlands loss, and environmental contamination. Shannon is skilled in the management of large-scale litigation and settlement dockets and has represented a joint defense group of oil and gas companies in NORM personal injury and property damage class action and mass joinder cases. Shannon's litigation experience also includes pharmaceutical litigation, consumer fraud, antitrust and RICO claims.
Shannon has been recognized since 2019 by Louisiana Super Lawyers® as a Rising Star.
Shannon received her J.D., magna cum laude, from Loyola University New Orleans College of Law in 2012 where she was a member of the Loyola Law Review and a William L. Crowe Sr. Scholar. She was involved in the Moot Court and Trial Advocacy Programs and was named an Outstanding Advocate at the 19th Annual Chief Judge Conrad B. Duberstein National Bankruptcy Memorial Moot Court Competition. Prior to joining a firm, Shannon was a judicial intern for Judge Nannette Jolivette Brown of the United States District Court for the Eastern District.
- Counsel and advise global energy companies regarding compliance with the Medicare Secondary Payer Act and Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007 (MMSEA) in mass tort and personal injury matters
- Served as First Chair Trial Attorney to a major oil and gas company in personal injury premises liability litigation, taking the case to jury verdict
- Represented global energy company in class action litigation alleging personal injuries from toxic exposures to NORM
- Defended energy companies in lawsuits seeking damages for fear of contracting cancer, increased risk of contracting cancer, and/or medical monitoring damages based on alleged toxic exposures at former industrial sites
- Representation of global energy company in cases involving land loss and substance asserted under the Louisiana Coastal Zone Management Act
- Defended global energy company in lawsuits alleging soil sediment, groundwater, drinking water, and other types of environmental contamination caused by oil and gas exploration and production activities, gas processing/midstream operations, and refining operations throughout Louisiana
- Defended global energy company in connection with claims of environmental property damage related to exploration and production activities
- Represented global energy company in oil field legacy cases involving Louisiana Act 312, as well as claims for alleged breaches of mineral leases, surface leases, and the Louisiana Mineral Code
- Served as local counsel for national onshore and offshore electrical generation equipment manufacturers
- Represented international company specializing in on/off loading of seagoing vessels, especially containerized freight, in personal injury longshore litigation related to incidents occurring on docks of New Orleans
- Defended Wisconsin-based flooring manufacturer in redhibition and products liability litigation
- Represented local commercial general contractor in large contract litigation and defended client in breach of workmanlike performance claim
- Defended local funeral home in fraud and breach of contract litigation
Articles and Publications
- Presenter, Medicare Reporting and Reimbursement Compliance, Risk Management Briefing (2016)
- Presenter, How to Keep Medicare from Calling After Settlement, Stay Out of Hot Water in Louisiana CLE and CE (2016)
- Presenter, E-Discovery 101, Continuing Legal Education Seminar (2014)
- Presenter, 21st Century Professionalism Issues – The Impact of Bias & Inclusion at Home & Abroad, Louisiana State Bar Association (2013)