Coulter McMahen joined Taylor Porter after clerking for Chief Judge S. Maurice Hicks, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana.
Coulter represents clients across a wide spectrum of industries including public utilities, education, healthcare, insurance and financial institutions. Coulter’s representative experience includes:
- Defending claims of employee misconduct involving trade secret violations, unfair trade practices, non-compete violations, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act issues, breach of fiduciary duty, and related disputes.
- Navigating clients through the NCAA infractions process and compliance-related matters.
- Representing banks, financial institutions and other lenders in commercial collection and foreclosure actions, including use of Louisiana’s unique “executory process” procedures.
- Advising clients on the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Representing and advising insurers/insureds in tort litigation involving personal injuries, deaths, property damage, insurance coverage disputes, and bad faith.
- Representing and advising the State of Louisiana in disputes involving the Louisiana Motion Picture Tax Incentive Act.
- Drafting contracts for coaches and athletic administrators.
- Successful defense of premises liability lawsuit at the summary judgment stage.
- Representing property owner in fending off and obtaining an injunction in a boundary dispute.
Several of the above representative matters have required Coulter to assist clients in the eDiscovery process. As such, Coulter is well versed in the technological aspects of litigation and how to best advise clients on navigating these issues.
Coulter’s civic engagement includes:
- Member of Louisiana Association of Business and Industry (“LABI”) Emerging Leaders Council, a select group of distinguished young executives across a range of industry sectors who have a demonstrated commitment to making the state a great place to live and work.
- Member of the Pelican Leadership Academy, class of 2021. The Academy informs, educates and connects the emerging and experienced leaders in Louisiana to some of the state’s biggest assets and most daunting challenges.
- Board secretary of the Star & Crescent Foundation, established by alumni of LSU’s Gamma Chapter of Kappa Sigma Fraternity to carry on the fraternity’s legacy and build upon its core values of fellowship, leadership, scholarship and service.
- Volunteer with The Miracle League at Cypress Mounds, a nonprofit that provides children with any type of disability or special needs the opportunity to play baseball as part of team and an organized league.
In his spare time, Coulter enjoys playing golf, fishing and hunting, snow/water skiing, and cheering on his beloved alma mater, the LSU Tigers.