Taylor Porter Partner Tim Poché’s practice focuses on advising and defending clients on environmental issues across a broad range of industries including energy, petrochemical, wastewater, public utility, transportation, and solid and hazardous waste treatment and disposal.
Tim counsels clients on a variety of compliance and permitting issues, with special emphasis on waste and water compliance and permitting, environmental remediation, and due diligence. He has extensive experience counseling and defending clients in regulatory enforcement actions before federal and state regulatory agencies including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality, Louisiana Department of Natural Resources/Office of Conservation, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Louisiana Department of Health.
Tim has also represented clients in complex civil litigation involving environmental damage and remediation claims in both state and federal courts and has successfully defended clients against citizen suits under both federal and state environmental laws.
Tim is ranked by his peers in Best Lawyers in America (2020) in Environmental Law and Litigation - Environmental.
Tim received a B.S. in geology from Louisiana State University in 1988 and his J.D. from Louisiana State University in 1992. He served as chair of the Louisiana State Bar Association’s Environmental Law Section. He is admitted to practice in all Louisiana state courts, the federal district courts for the Middle, Eastern, and Western Districts of Louisiana, and the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Tim’s representative work includes:
- Lead environmental counsel in successful 404 and drilling permitting effort for controversial hydraulic fracturing oil and gas project in St. Tammany Parish
- Successfully negotiated abandonment in place for subsurface pipeline crossing Atchafalaya River resulting in substantial cost savings for client
- Negotiated settlement of USEPA air/radiation enforcement actions against state university system through development of Beneficial Environmental Projects
- Negotiated settlement of compliance issues cited in USEPA RCRA compliance audit of state research facilities
- Obtained post-trial dismissal of class action claims against national waste management company involving landfill operations and significant financial exposure
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal of over 300 personal injury claims asserted against national remediation contractor client arising from remediation of chemical release at a major Louisiana refinery
- Obtained favorable cost-of-defense settlement of class action groundwater contamination suit against national waste management company
- Successfully prosecuted environmental remediation cost recovery claim on behalf of Louisiana shipyard, obtaining full recovery
- Lead counsel in representation of major waste company in CERCLA/Louisiana mini-superfund cost recovery litigation concerning the Marine Shale Processors site
- Co-counsel in successful settlement of CERCLA cost recovery claims against generator PRP client in litigation concerning the Combustion, Inc. superfund site
- Lead counsel in both federal and state courts in successful defense of state permitting and operation of emergency debris sites developed in Orleans Parish in the wake of Hurricane Katrina
- Extensive experience in solid and hazardous waste, and water discharge permitting
- Environmental counsel for seller in sale of chemical manufacturing facility
- Environmental counsel for chemical manufacturing complex in the leasing of portions of manufacturer’s property and production units to third party lessee
- Environmental counsel for chemical manufacturing complex in acquisition of utility production units from adjacent chemical plant