Practicing law since 1980, Taylor Porter Partner Vicki M. Crochet serves as the Practice Group Leader of the firm’s Employment, Labor and Benefits practice. Ms. Crochet also serves as the Vice-Chair of the Taylor Porter Executive Committee.
Ms. Crochet practices all areas of employment law, advising clients regarding policies and procedures; representing them before governmental agencies including the EEOC, OFCCP, the Louisiana Commission on Human Rights (LCHR), and the Louisiana Civil Service Commission; and handling all aspects of employment litigation.
Ms. Crochet also has conducted employee training and is a frequent lecturer on employment law issues. She currently is an associate member of the Greater Baton Rouge Society for Human Resource Management and the Louisiana Society for Human Resource Management.
Ms. Crochet has received several accolades for her Employment, Labor and Benefits practice. In 2018, Ms. Crochet was selected by her peers among the "Top 25 Louisiana Super Lawyers Women Attorneys," along with her Super Lawyers recognition in Labor and Employment Law. In 2014, Ms. Crochet was named Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year in Baton Rouge" in Labor and Employment Law. She also has been selected for inclusion in Chambers USA among the "Leaders in their Field" in Labor and Employment Law.
Ms. Crochet is a member of the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel and The Defense Research Institute.
Ms. Crochet's practice has included the following:
- Advising private and public employers, including various state agencies and the Louisiana State Senate, in connection with employment policies and sensitive personnel matters;
- Representing Louisiana State University in connection with a wide range of employment and academic matters involving faculty, staff, and student issues, with a recent emphasis on Title IX sexual assault policies;
- Drafting and revising employer policies, including employee handbooks and policy manuals;
- Representing employers before governmental agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Office of Federal Contract Compliance (OFCCP), the Department of Labor (DOL), the Louisiana Commission on Human Rights (LCHR), and the Louisiana Civil Service Commission;
- Assisting employers in complying with federal and state laws and regulations governing the employment relationship;
- Handling employment litigation, including successful resolution of matters by summary judgment prior to trial.
In the community, Ms. Crochet serves as a board member of The Emerge Center. Previously, she served as a crisis line volunteer and board member for Battered Women’s Program. She and her husband Charlie Cusimano were actively involved at the Louisiana School for the Deaf, where their daughter attended for eight years. She is a former member of the LSD Foundation Board. Ms. Crochet is also a former member of the Baton Rouge Speech and Hearing Foundation Board.
Ms. Crochet and her husband were the recipients of the 2011 Angel in Adoption award, which honors their dedication to adoption and positive child welfare practices.
Articles and Publications
- "#BRtoo: Baton Rouge Business Scrambling to Understand Sexual Harassment Laws and Policies," Baton Rouge Business Report, Interview with Vicki Crochet, December 28, 2017
- "Specifics Remain to be Seen, But Most Expect Significant Labor Law Changes Under President Trump," Baton Rouge Business Report, Interviews with Vicki Crochet and Tom Peak, April 26, 2017
- "Pregnancy at Work: Do You Know The Rules?" - Taylor Porter Labor and Employment News Alert, April 15, 2016
- "Hot Ethical Topics for Employment Lawyers," Federal Bar Association Baton Rouge Chapter, October 18, 2018
- "Managing Managers: Or How to Avoid the Top Ten Legal Problems They Can Cause," GBRSHRM Summer School, June 21, 2018
- "Sexual Harassment in the #MeToo Era," Louisiana Association of Broadcasters & Mississippi Association of Broadcasters Annual Convention, May 30-31, 2018
- "Drawing the Line: Sexual Harassment in Louisiana," LPB TV Interview, February 2018
- “How the New Administration Will Impact Human Resources,” GBRSHRM Fall Conference, October 2017
- "Pregnancy at Work," Taylor Porter Labor and Employment Law Seminar, April 27, 2017
- “Sealing the Deal: Effective Settlement Techniques in Employment Cases,” Louisiana Bar Association Employment Law update, August 2014
- “How to Master FMLA Compliance,” Louisiana Society of Human Resource Management Conference, April 9, 2013
- “Sexual, Racial and Other Harassment and Discrimination,” Sterling Education Services Employment Law Seminar, October 11, 2012
- “Diversity and Leadership,” The Inaugural Louisiana Women’s Conference, October 2, 2009
- “Preparing Your Business for a Disaster,” LSU E.J. Ourso College of Business and Taylor Porter’s Preparing Your Business for a Disaster, May 27, 2009
- “Recent Updates 2009,” Rotary Club of Baton Rouge, February 2009
- “Employment Law Seminar – Legal Update and Sexual Harassment,” Parish Attorney Seminar, April 2008
- “Employment Law Update – The Latest Interpretations of Current Employment Law,” Sterling Education Services, Inc., January 16, 2008
- “Balancing Personal & Work Life,” Baton Rouge Association of Women Attorneys, February 28, 2007
- “Legal Challenges for the Cancer Patient,” Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center, August 26, 2006
- “How to Safely Terminate Employees,” Louisiana Society of Human Resource Management Conference 2006, April 12-13, 2006
- “Affirmative Action Obligations for Government Contractors,” Employment Law Update, March 28, 2006
- “FMLA Update – State Leave Law Applicable to Pregnancy and Child Care State Law Whistleblower Protection,” Council on Education in Management, August 8-9, 2005
- “Engaging and Empowering all Women,” Louisiana’s Women Leaders, May 13, 2005
- “Sexual Harassment & Workplace Discrimination,” Louisiana’s Women Leaders, May 15, 2005
- “Sexual Harassment in the Workplace,” 2005 Employment Law Mock Trial, March 7, 2005
- “Techniques of Taking and Use of Depositions,” 2004 Annual Louisiana Department of Justice CLE Seminar, Attorney General Seminar, December 9-10, 2004
- Baton Rouge Society for Human Resource Management Mock Trial, August 2004