Visit Our COVID-19 Blog for the Latest Update on the Hospitality Industry
Practice Contact: Richard Easterling
The regulatory work of Taylor Porter attorneys in Alcoholic Beverage Licensing and Related Enforcement Issues encompasses all phases of alcohol beverage licensing and enforcement, working with our clients through the heavily regulated industry that can present multiple and at times, complex, local, state, and federal compliance issues.
Our attorneys have developed a deep understanding of state and local statutes, rules, and regulations pertaining to alcohol beverage licensing and compliance. They assist clients in applying and maintaining alcohol and tobacco licenses as well as renewing and handling changes which affect their licenses. Should compliance issues arise, our attorneys also have experience in handling the defense of licensees.
Our additional services include:
- Counseling on all alcohol license issues and regulatory enforcement.
- Preparing the necessary forms and documents required to obtain a state and local alcohol license for a manufacturer, wholesaler or retail dealer.
- Preparing a client’s appeal, if denied license, for reconsideration of the application.
- Preparing the necessary forms and documents required to relocate an alcohol license from one premises to another premises.
- Preparing the necessary forms required to prevent the lapse of sale and service of alcohol, when applicable, if the buyer has purchased the assets of an ongoing business.
- Preparing the required notices and paperwork when a change in the licensee and/or its owners and officers has occurred.
- Filing applications with appropriate agencies and departments.
- Representing clients before reviews and hearings and meetings with state and local zoning boards, metropolitan councils, and alcohol agencies.
- Work with local planning commissions and engineering firms to rezone properties or establish planned unit developments.
- Work with local planning commissions to obtain zoning variances or conditional use permits.
- Work with city councils or local agencies to seek property requirement waivers.
- Advise clients on land use compliance issues.
- Work with state and local departments of revenue to establish new tax accounts.
- Work with DHH to obtain health permits.
- Work with TTB regarding compliance with federal alcohol regulations.
- Work with local jurisdictions to obtain occupational licenses for new businesses.
- Work with parish attorneys to revise local ordinances.
- Assist in legislative changes to state statutes.
Our representation has included:
- Representing clients at hearings before the Louisiana Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control and local alcohol beverage offices for violations related to the sale and/or service of alcohol and tobacco products.
- Preparing amendments to local alcohol ordinances needed by clients.
- Serving as counsel for alcohol manufacturers in obtaining necessary licensure, including assistance with zoning and other property issues.
- Serving as counsel for national, regional, and local businesses, including restaurants, hotels, convenience, and retail stores, in obtaining alcohol and tobacco licenses and related permits.
- Serving as counsel for various annual events such as the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, BUCU Festival, and Bayou Country Superfest in obtaining necessary state and local licensure.
Our attorneys are members of several trade organizations related to Alcoholic Beverage Licensing and Related Enforcement Issues, including Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys, National Association of Licensing and Compliance Professionals, Alliance of Alcohol Industry Attorneys and Consultants and National Association of Alcoholic Beverage Licensing Attorneys.
Understanding the most important issues of the alcoholic beverage licensing industry, our attorneys combine corporate law and transactional law experience with regulatory knowledge to serve clients in this practice area. We have built positive, working relationships with officials in local, state, and federal offices that regulate the hospitality and alcohol beverage industry.
Articles and Publications:
- "Louisiana Gov. Edwards Orders State Mask Mandate, Closes Bars to On-Premises Consumption, and Makes Additional Phase Two Changes," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, July 13, 2020
- "Phase Two: Roadmap to a Resilient Louisiana," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, June 8, 2020
- "Louisiana Moves Into Phase One; New Openings and Additional Guidelines for Hospitality Industry," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, May 15, 2020
- "Updated Guidance for Hospitality and Retail Industry," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, May 7, 2020
- "Impact of Stay At Home Order on Alcoholic Beverage and Tobacco Retailers, Wholesalers, Manufacturers," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, March 26, 2020
- "Louisiana Office of Alcohol & Tobacco Control to Expedite Issuance of Delivery Permits," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, March 18, 2020
- "Alcohol Delivery Begins in Louisiana," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, Sept. 5, 2019
- "Compliance Check! What Bars, Clubs and Restaurants Need to Do to Be Compliant With Regulations," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, February 2018