Practice Contacts: Bob Barton
Visit the Taylor Porter Litigation Blog
Our Commercial Litigation Group has extensive experience in all types of business and complex litigation. We have represented clients in anti-trust litigation; securities law disputes; shareholder derivative lawsuits; construction cases; commercial contract litigation; bankruptcy; insurance coverage disputes; claims against officers and directors; accounting, professional services liability cases, legal and other professional malpractice claims; civil RICO claims; white collar criminal defense; tort claims involving business interruption and other commercial losses; and transportation contract litigation.
We have represented clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies down to mom-and-pop businesses in commercial litigation of all types and sizes. We have successfully handled major complex litigation involving provable damages ranging in the hundreds of millions of dollars and, in one case, over one billion dollars. Our experienced litigators regularly appear in state and federal courts throughout Louisiana, and in arbitration proceedings in Louisiana and elsewhere. We are often called upon to represent clients in courts all over the country and internationally.
Representative Litigation Matters
- Represented bankruptcy trustee in $600 million lawsuit against a big four accounting firm.
- Lead counsel for the subsidiary of a Fortune 500 company defending indemnity and single business enterprise claims arising out of a previous oil and gas contamination suit.
- Lead counsel for a number of oil and gas operators in a mass tort suit filed by the SLFPA-E for damages arising out of oil and gas operations.
- Lead counsel for an independent exploration company involved in a dispute concerning an Area of Mutual Interest (AMI) and interpretation of a series of Joint Operating Agreements.
- Represented major utility company in federal court in Nebraska in suit to cancel, for material breach, long term coal transportation contract with a national railroad company.
- Defended major utility company in fraud and breach of contract suit to rescind co-ownership agreement in connection with the design and construction of $4.2 billion nuclear power plant, in federal district court and bankruptcy court.
- Defended California winery in civil anti-trust action involving liquor industry.
- Prosecuted landowner’s multi-million dollar civil damage claim against national timber company for breach and termination of long term timber lease contract.
- Represented various businesses in federal criminal anti-trust investigations and prosecutions for alleged price fixing.
- Represented SEC-appointed equity receiver to prosecute civil securities law fraudulent conveyance and professional malpractice claims to recover money for victims of multi-million dollar nationwide Ponzi scheme.
- Representation of and lead counsel for Soprema, Inc., a multi-national bitumen roofing material manufacturer, in connection with a complex multi-party construction litigation and a Chapter 11 (reorganization) bankruptcy proceeding in New Orleans, LA.
- Representation of and lead counsel for Ineos Americas, LLC, an ethylene and propylene based specialty and intermediate chemical manufacturer, in connection with complex industrial and work-place accidents and assorted personal injury matters.
- Lead plaintiff’s counsel for Louisiana Home Builders Association Self-Insurers' Fund in various collection matters, including a successful summary judgment exceeding $74,000.
- Representation of the Resource Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization operating in conjunction with affordable housing programs, in connection with claims filed in connection with FEMA trailer fires. The matter was successfully resolved through a summary judgment dismissing the client from the lawsuit altogether and absolving the client from all liability ($0).
- Lead counsel for an Atlanta-based general contractor in connection with enforcing subcontract claims and defending materialmen and laborer liens arising out of a dispute surrounding a 330 unit, 20 building apartment complex located in Baton Rouge, which also involved representation before the Louisiana Contractors’ Licensing Board and the Contractors’ Licensing Law, La. R.S. 37:2150, et seq.
- Lead defense counsel for GMAC Insurance Company and its underwriter National General Assurance Company in connection with multiple automobile-related personal injury lawsuits.
- Defense counsel for Livingston Economic Development Council, Inc. in connection with litigation arising out of a fatal railroad collision at an Industrial Park in Walker, LA.
- Defense counsel for Ineos Americas, LLC d/b/a Ineos Oxide, a specialty and intermediate chemical manufacturer specializing in ethylene and propylene oxide based chemicals, in connection with workers’ compensation and personal injury claims at the Plaquemine facility.
- Defense counsel for Helis Oil and Gas Company, L.LC., in connection with litigation arising out of conduct at an offshore platform in Eugene Island Block 300 involving a subsea mudline tree construction project.
- Bankruptcy counsel for Citizens Bank and Trust Company in connection with claims asserted against The Tuscany Reserve, LLC, a large apartment complex in Baton Rouge, and competing claims from and against construction-related creditors.