Practice Contact: Vicki Crochet
Since the firm's inception in 1912 and continuing to sustain itself as one of the oldest, largest and most respected law firms in Louisiana, Taylor Porter has represented clients across the wide spectrum of labor and employment issues that govern the rights and duties between employers and workers.
Our attorneys assist clients in connection with compliance with federal, state and local employment regulations and are experienced in handling labor negotiations, union grievances and arbitrations, Civil Service matters, and representing employers before federal and state regulatory agencies such as the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission), OFCCP (Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs), Department of Labor, Louisiana Commission of Human Rights, and the State Civil Service Commission.
Our labor and employment attorneys review and revise employment policies and manuals as well as provide comprehensive legal support to employers in all aspects of the employment relationship. Additionally, they are experienced in handling sensitive personnel issues and complex employment litigation.
The members of our Labor and Employment group offer support to the firm’s clients by:
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements and handling disputes in arbitration before the National Labor Relations Board and in federal court.
- Drafting employment agreements and handling disputes that arise under employment agreements.
- Defending individual and class action litigation involving discrimination and violations of other federal and state employment statutes.
- Representing clients before the EEOC, OFCCP, and State and Federal Labor Departments, including on-site investigations, conciliation, mediation and litigation in state and federal courts.
- Advising clients and handling disputes involving the Fair Labor Standards Act, ERISA, and COBRA.
- Developing manuals and handbooks, including affirmative action plans and sexual harassment policies and procedures, and drug-testing policies and procedures.
- Representing state agencies in civil service disputes before the Louisiana State Civil Service Commission.
Best Lawyers and U.S. News & World Report rank Taylor Porter's Labor and Employment Law practice in Metropolitan Tier 1 in Baton Rouge on its 2018 "Best Law Firms" rankings list.
Presentations and Seminars
- "#BRtoo: Baton Rouge Business Scrambling to Understand Sexual Harassment Laws and Policies," Baton Rouge Business Report, Interview with Vicki Crochet, December 28, 2017
- "Specifics Remain to be Seen, But Most Expect Significant Labor Law Changes Under President Trump," Baton Rouge Business Report, Interviews with Vicki Crochet and Tom Peak, April 26, 2017
- "What's in the (Trump) Cards? - Health Care Industry Labor and Employment Issues in Limbo Stack the Deck Under New Administration" - Health Care Journal of Baton Rouge, Author: Tom Peak, May/June 2017
- "Final Overtime Rules Released; What's Next for Employers?" - Taylor Porter Labor and Employment News Alert, May 18, 2016
- "Pregnancy at Work: Do You Know The Rules?" - Taylor Porter Labor and Employment News Alert, April 15, 2016