Practice Contact: Nancy Dougherty
Taylor Porter represents its clients - individual, corporate, and governmental - before numerous regulatory and legislative bodies including municipal councils, the Louisiana Legislature, the Louisiana Public Service Commission, the Louisiana Tax Commission, the Louisiana Board of Ethics, the Department of Natural Resources, the Department of Environmental Quality, the Department of Agriculture, the Insurance Rating Commission and the State Bond Commission. Firm attorneys are regularly engaged in public hearings, staff meetings, lobbying and the drafting of regulations and legislation.
Taylor Porter's governmental relations, municipal and public policy representative matters include:
- Representing insurance clients in connection with matters of licensing procedure and form approval by the Louisiana Department of Insurance, and insurance rate changes by the Louisiana Insurance Rating Commission.
- Representing a major insurance company in a civil rights suit alleging that a former governor of Louisiana conspired with others to steer state insurance business to political supporters.
- Counseling clients on compliance with the Louisiana Code of Governmental Ethics and handling matters pending before the Louisiana Board of Ethics.
- Testifying before a U.S. House of Representatives subcommittee concerning proposed legislation to deter fraud and corruption in the insurance industry.
- Representing clients' interests in the Louisiana Legislature, including the drafting of proposed legislation.
- Representing numerous groups in the communications, construction, education, medical, technology, chemical, insurance, financial, retail and oil & gas industries.
- Drafting and submitting bills for statutory revisions including revisions to the Louisiana Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law and Article 9 regarding security interests.