Practice Contact: Barrye Panepinto Miyagi
Taylor Porter represents clients by focusing on the Medicare Secondary Payer Act and the related reimbursement and reporting obligations.
With substantial experience in the defense of occupational exposure, toxic tort, products liability, and other personal injury claims, Taylor Porter attorneys remain abreast of the Medicare regulations, the mandatory reporting obligations as well as the related case law and guidance which continues to evolve.
Our attorneys counsel clients through Medicare-related issues arising from personal injury litigation and settlements to ensure that our clients are able to adequately and competently comply with Medicare reporting and reimbursement obligations and other related federal and state regulations.
Our attorneys also closely follow proposed legislation including the Provide Accurate Information Directly Act (the “Paid Act”) which was recently introduced into Congress. The Paid Act is designed to assist settling parties in identifying Medicare, Medicaid and Medicare Part C and D providers who have reimbursement rights.
- Implementing Medicare reporting and compliance programs for major oil companies.
- Establishing internal guidelines for compliance with the Medicare Secondary Payer statutes and Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007.
- Evaluating Section 111 registration and reporting obligations.
- Identifying and minimizing risks of future Medicare-related claims, penalties, and fines arising out of payments to Medicare beneficiaries.
- Evaluated Medicare and Medicare Advantage Plan interests in personal injury awards or settlement funds paid to plaintiffs and assisted clients with assessment of any related risks.
- Successfully opposed numerous Motions to Enforce Settlements in which Medicare's interests were not protected.
- Led defense efforts resulting in Medicare Case Management Order for the 19th Judicial District Court, Parish of East Baton Rouge.
- Established Medicare compliance programs for major oil companies.
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- "The Medicare Secondary Payer Act: What You Don't Know May Hurt You," Federal Bar Association Baton Rouge Chapter CLE, July 20, 2018
- "PAID Act Would Provide Clarity on Medicare Secondary Payer and Medicaid Reimbursement Obligations," June 2018
- "New, Unique Medicare Numbers to Replace Social Security Numbers on Cards by End of 2019," November 2017
- "Ten Things Defendants Should Know About Reimbursing Medicare and Reporting Payments to Medicare"
- “Common Myths about the Medicare Secondary Payer Act and Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007 (“Section 111”)”
- "STOP. Don't Ignore That Letter: Medicare’s Commercial Repayment Center"
- “Medicare Advantage Plans,” Client Presentation, 2017
- “Hot Topics in Medicare Secondary Payer Compliance” - DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Nov. 2016
- “The Medicare Secondary Payer Act and Mandatory Reporting Requirements,” Client Presentation, October 2012
- “The Medicare Secondary Payer Act and Mandatory Reporting Requirements: Driving Through The Fog,” DRI Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Seminar, 2012