Practice Contact: Brett Furr
From drafting and analyzing contracts to preparing and negotiating purchase deal documents through the end of the complex transaction process, Taylor Porter attorneys handle all stages of mergers and acquisitions for corporate clients.
Representing many longstanding clients since 1912, Taylor Porter prides itself on building and sustaining partnerships with our clients by working hard to understand their businesses, objectives and long-term market strategies. This mindset helps our attorneys keep focused on the big picture of a transaction, while identifying and addressing the specific legal issues surrounding the acquisition.
We advise clients on complex issues related to buying or selling businesses, equity ownership rights, and ownership transition. We structure, negotiate and document term and revolving credit facilities, acquisition and working capital loans, and senior and subordinated debt. Our attorneys help clients create and generate the contents of the principal initial agreements or analyze the documents before heading into negotiation and purchase, as needed, and then work with clients through negotiations up to and after the closing. Because each transaction is unique and industry-specific, our M&A attorneys work with key practice area teams in our firm (tax, land use, environmental, labor and employment, etc.) to ensure consideration of all current rules, regulations and policies as well as industry-specific marketplace indicators, prior to finalizing business transaction agreements.
Our attorneys’ capabilities include:
- Advising on mergers or acquisitions
- Assisting with equity debt and financing
- Conducting due diligence
- Drafting and preparing deal documents (letters of intent, purchase agreements, etc.)
- Handling all closing activities
- Negotiating with counsel, buyer, seller or third-party participant
- Reviewing contracts for purchases and sales
- Transitioning and integrating the company post-acquisition (e.g., business succession planning and business valuation)
- Working with Taylor Porter practice area teams (e.g., tax, land use, environmental, licensing, and labor and employment) to address all aspects of a transaction.
Taylor Porter attorneys represent a diverse range of local, regional, and national clients in the most complex transactions and litigation across a variety of industries. Taylor Porter is the exclusive Louisiana law firm member for MSI Global Alliance, a network of 250 legal and accounting firms worldwide that enable our Firm to source reliable, local expertise wherever in the world clients are involved in doing business. We represent clients in private debt and equity placements, and merger and acquisition representation in both traditional and nontraditional industries, including, but not limited to:
- Financial Services
- Petrochemical Facilities and Pipelines
- Real Estate
- Represented major Louisiana chemical company in acquisition of chemical plant, including related service contracts and permitting
- Advised group of private equity investors regarding refinery acquisition
- Obtained LPSC approval for $3.4 billion acquisition of investor-owned electric utility by private equity group and advised client regarding environmental risks and permit transfer issues
- Served as lead counsel for purchaser of over 200 sewer treatment facilities located in six states pursuant to a negotiated plan in chapter 11 proceedings, including oversight of team to secure regulatory approval from three regions of the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Offices of Environmental Quality in six states, and six state public service commissions; secured acquisition financing
- Performed comprehensive environmental due diligence evaluations in support of mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, and debt offerings, and advised clients regarding structuring of transactions to equitably allocate known and potential environmental liabilities and risks following completion of transaction
- Represented sellers and purchasers in various automobile dealership sales in four states of the southern region of the country
- Represented REIT (Real Estate Investment Trusts) in acquisition of numerous apartment complexes throughout Louisiana
- Represented a local developer in raising capital, negotiating asset purchase agreements, development agreements, immovably property sales, construction contracts and securing financing for the development of apartment complexes.
- Represented buyers and sellers of nursing homes in southern region of the country
- Represented buyers and sellers in numerous hotel transactions
- Represented buyers and sellers in various asset purchase transactions in closely held businesses
- Served as counsel for a company involved in a reverse triangular merger with a nationwide credit organization with a value in excess of $90 million
- Represented national retail pharmacy as liaison to state and local agencies in securing the necessary licensure to conduct business pursuant to corporate merger and restructure