Visit the BBB of South Central Louisiana website
With the beginning of Hurricane Season, the Better Business Bureau of South Central Louisiana offers business and individuals some tips to be prepared.
Number one, you should have an evacuation plan in place for your family and office. Natural disasters, such as a hurricane can destroy your property and severely impair your ability to conduct financial transactions. A question you should ask yourself is, “If you had only a few minutes to evacuate your home or business, and had to be away for several days or weeks, would you have access to cash, banking services and the personal identification documents you would need to support your family?”
If you don’t have an evacuation plan that includes your accessibility to your money or personal informational documents, you need to put one in place as soon as possible.
The Better Business Bureau and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation offers tips on what to have ready if a disaster should strike without warning:
- Forms of Identification: These include driver’s licenses, medical insurance cards, Social Security cards, passports and birth certificates. While it is best to have originals, it is also important to have copies, in case originals are misplaced or destroyed.
- Checks and Deposit Slips: Even if you rarely write checks, consider having your checking account number handy. That way you can authorize an important payment over the phone. If you do rely on checks, have enough blank checks and deposit slips to last a month or so.
- ATM Cards, Debit Cards and Credit Cards: These cards give you access to cash and the ability to make payments on outstanding bills. Make sure you know your PIN numbers; do not write them down or carry them with the cards!
- Cash: ATMs in affected areas may not be functioning, so it is a good idea to have cash available for necessary purchases. The amount will depend on the size of your family, your expected financial needs and your ability to use debit or credit cards to make purchases.
- Phone Numbers for Financial Service Providers: Make a list of the local and toll-free numbers for your bank, credit card companies, mortgage lender, brokerage firms and insurance companies. You may need to contact these providers to defer a payment, replace lost cards or open a new account.
- Account Numbers: These would include bank and brokerage account numbers, credit card numbers and auto and homeowner’s insurance policy numbers. Copy the front and back of your credit cards.
- Safe Deposit Box Key: You cannot get into your safe deposit box without your key, no matter what forms of identification you presentAfter you have gathered this information, store it in a safe, protected place. Do not leave it out in the open or in an unlocked drawer. Some identity theft victims have been "robbed" by family members or workers within their homes.