Taylor Porter Partner Rebecca Hinton represents individuals and businesses in the areas of trust and estates/estate planning; taxation; successions; tax-exempt organizations; corporate matters; and tax controversies.
Rebecca advises clients on formation and operations of entities for both tax planning and state law compliance issues, and drafting business documents to achieve client objectives.
Rebecca is ranked by her peers among the Best Lawyers in America in Trusts and Estates and Tax Law. In 2024, she was named Best Lawyers in America "Lawyer of the Year" in Tax Law; Trusts and Estates. Rebecca is a former adjunct professor at Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center, and frequently presents at CLE and other seminars on the topics of federal estate and gift taxation, estate planning, and federal taxation.
Rebecca's additional tax law experience includes:
- Structuring and advising clients concerning business and personal financial transactions and options to lessen tax exposure.
- Handling large-scale Federal, state and local tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service, Louisiana Department of Revenue and local taxing authorities, including audits, administrative negotiations, trial preparation and litigation.
- Assisting individuals and businesses in obtaining federal, state, and local tax and business incentives.
- Providing advice to nonprofit entities on formation, corporate governance, tax exemption, and compliance with tax-exempt law.
In her estate planning and administration practice, she assists clients with the preparation of their personal estate planning documents, ranging from traditional wills and powers of attorney to establishing large scale trusts, family limited liability companies, and long-term gifting plans to lessen Federal estate and gift tax exposure. She also supports clients in administering successions.
Rebecca serves is a past president of the Estate & Business Planning Council of Baton Rouge, an interdisciplinary organization for professionals involved in estate planning. Rebecca is a graduate of the 2021 Class of BRAC (Baton Rouge Area Chamber) Leadership Baton Rouge. In the community, Rebecca is a Board Member of the nonprofit SportsBR, and she is the director of the nonprofit, Center for Emotional Healing.
Rebecca earned her J.D., in 2006, from Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center, where she was production editor of the Louisiana Law Review, and a member of the Order of the Coif. She earned a B.S. in Accounting, summa cum laude, from Louisiana Tech University, in 2003.
Articles and Presentations
- Recent Developments in Federal Gift and Estate Taxation, 2021 Esatate Planning Conference, Loyola University New Orleans, December 3, 2021
- The ABCs of 529 Education Savings Accounts: An Update on Federal Tax Guidelines and Southern State 529 Plans, The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, December 2021
- Recent Developments in Federal Gift and Estate Taxation, Society of Louisiana Certified Public Accountants, Louisiana Tax Conference, December 2-3, 2021
- Recent Developments in Taxation of Interest to Estate Planners, 51st Annual Estate Planning Conference, LSU Law Center, November 18-19, 2021
- Recent Developments in Federal Gift and Estate Taxation, 30th Annual Tulane Estate Planning Institute, Tulane University Law School, October 29, 2021
- "Withdrawal Up to $10K from START College Savings Plan for K-12 Education Available Until End of Year," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, October 15, 2020
- Recent Developments- Federal Gift and Taxation, Tulane University Law School, 69th Tulane Tax Institute, November 20, 2020
- "There’s Still Time to Top Off HSA Contributions for 2019 through COVID Extended Tax Deadline," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, June 11, 2020
- "IRS: Social Security Recipients to Get Stimulus Checks Without Filing Returns," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, April 2, 2020
- Minors as Beneficiaries, Podcast with Simplifynance, March 2020
- "U.S. Tax Filing Deadline Moved to July 15, 2020," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, March 20, 2020
- "Tax News Regarding Coronavirus - IRS Defers Tax Payments by 90 Days Past April 15 Deadline," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, March 18, 2020
- The Basics of Federal Tax: Selected Significant Federal Tax Issues Encountered by Lawyers, Presentation to the Federal Bar Association, 2019
- "Who Gets Prince's Little Red Corvette: Family Estate Fight Over $200 Million Provides Valuable Lesson to Get a Will in Order," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, Aug. 13, 2019
- "New Louisiana Law Enables Parents to START Saving for K-12 Tuition," The Taylor RePorter Legal Blog, Aug. 6, 2018
- Recent Devlopments in Federal Gift & Estate Taxation, Loyola University College of Law, Annual Estate Planning Conference (2015-2020)
- Estate Tax Repeal and Recent Developments in Estate and Gift Tax, Tulane University Estate Planning Institute (2017-2020)
- Recent Developments in Taxation of Interest to Estate Planners, Estate Planning Seminar, Louisiana State University (2015-2020)
- Recent Developments in Taxation of Interest to Estate Planners, Baton Rouge CPA Society Tax Day (2016-2019)
- Estate and Gift Tax Update, Baton Rouge Financial Planning Association (2018)
- Estate Planning for Families with Special Needs Lunch and Learn (2015)
- Legal Issues Every Nonprofit and its Board Members Need to Know. Louisiana Meet-the-Neighbors on Main Street, Louisiana Main Street Group (2015)
- "Giving Children a Right to Be Heard: Suggested Reforms to Provide Louisiana Children a Voice in Child Custody Disputes," 65 Louisiana Law Review 1539 (January 2005)