A member of the Taylor Porter Executive Committee, Partner Robin Toups practices primarily in the areas of environmental and regulatory law and litigation.
Ranked by her peers among the Louisiana Rising Stars in Environmental Law, Robin represents clients before regulatory agencies, including the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality, the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and in various state and federal courts. Her practice includes advising and representing clients on a wide variety of complex state and federal environmental regulatory issues, with a particular focus on Clean Air Act permitting and compliance issues, including PSD permitting, NSPS and NESHAP interpretations, and Chemical Accident Prevention.
Robin also advises clients regularly regarding water permitting and compliance issues, OSHA compliance, wetlands issues, environmental permit appeals, and transfers.
At Taylor Porter, Robin is actively involved in firm management as an elected member of the firm’s Executive Committee, and as past Chair of the Recruiting Committee.
A graduate of Louisiana State University, Robin received a Chemical Engineering degree in 2002 and worked as a process engineer prior to attending law school. She received her Juris Doctor and Bachelor of Civil Law in 2006 from the Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University, where she was a member of the Order of the Coif.
Robin is active in the Baton Rouge community, currently serving as a board member of the University Laboratory School Foundation. Robin served on the 2019 Mary Bird Perkins Gala Goes Global Committee for the Cancer Center's annual fundraiser. She is a sustaining member of the Junior League of Baton Rouge, and serves as a Sunday School teacher at First United Methodist Church. Robin formerly served as a board member of CASA, Women’s Hospital Annual Giving Campaign, and as a past officer of the Baton Rouge Chi Omega Alumnae Association.
Robin and her husband, Chad, are the proud parents of three children.
- Representation of clients in obtaining initial air permits, modifications, administrative amendments, variances and other air permitting actions, including advising on EIS preparations and complex air modeling issues and appeals of air permits
- Obtained initial PSD and Title V air permits for LNG facility in southwest Louisiana and initial air permit for oil and gas production facility
- Representation of industrial clients in preparing for and addressing findings in LDEQ and EPA air inspections and responding to EPA Clean Air Act 114 requests
- Counseling industrial clients on federal and state release reporting requirements and reporting obligations under Title V permits
- Regularly advises clients on compliance with Title V permit conditions, including NSPS and NESHAP regulatory requirements
- Successful resolution of air and water enforcement actions before Louisiana and federal regulatory agencies, including representation of major shipyard and midstream natural gas facilities in negotiations with LDEQ regarding air compliance issues
- Representation of clients in enforcement matters involving chemical accident prevention/risk management plan issues; advising clients regarding RMP audits and RMP compliance issues
- Established streamlined Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR) program, incorporating federal and state LDAR regulatory requirements, at a major synthetic, organic chemical facility
- Representation of major midstream natural gas company in OSHA compliance issues
- Representation of industrial facilities in transfer of regulatory permits and licenses
- Conducted training of industry environmental staff on regulatory compliance and recent regulatory developments
- Negotiation of wetlands mitigation banking contracts and counseling on related regulatory issues
- Conducted hazardous waste regulatory audit at an industrial manufacturing facility
- Representation of privately owned sewer utility company in negotiating multi-year compliance order with LDEQ to implement facility upgrades
- Representation of an industrial facility in defense of citizen suit under the Clean Water Act, resulting in innovative resolution
- Representation of private equity group in obtaining LPSC approval for $3.4 billion acquisition of electric utility
- Key member of team that defeated class certification in toxic tort suit alleging personal injuries to over 16,000 plaintiffs arising out of a chemical release, resulting in nominal settlement
- Representation of a large public university in contract dispute involving construction of gas turbine co-generation plant and energy cost savings issues, with a total sum in dispute of more than $25 million